Joan Fullerton's Art Blog

Welcome everyone! There will be some fun happening here. Hot tips for art-making, opportunities to laugh at me, musings about the mystery of life, and information about scheduled events.

Monday, February 8, 2010

February Collages



















Layers of HerStory (Mixed Media 14x11)

I have been traveling back and forth from Taos to Denver since Thanksgiving. I am enjoying the contrast of the NM quiet beauty with the urban activities in the Mile High City. Before my last drive north, I put together a couple of collages in my Taos studio. Comprised of pieces of workshop demos, layered images are glued to canvases with Venetian Plaster borders.


This first one titled Layers of HerStory, has brown paper, ink jet transfer, silk tissue, musical score, metal hanger and envelope clasp. It is glazed with a burnt siena oil glaze. While putting it together I thought about how and why people construct stories of their identities, and how we are limited by our stories.











3 comments:

Cheryl said...

For me, the stories we make up about ourselves are essential to activate this life. In fact, the process of inventing your own personal story is fascinating and one of our most fundamental life processes. The problem comes when we believe our own press. We forget that we made up the story in the first place and take it much too seriously as if it is the only possible story for us. So . . . it becomes an issue of "attachment." When we remember to remain detached as observers of our own stories, we can better decide when and how to begin the editing. The process of reinvention is our birthright and a heck of a lot of fun as well!
Em
p.s. I am not in the picture. They didn't want to mess it up.

Unknown said...

we are so shackled or limited by our stories and your piece definitely says that to me.
hi joan.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments Lee, Cheryl and Em! I love having dialogue and feedback. Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day.

Joan